MUNROE-MEYER INSTITUTE – OMAHA, NE
The Meyer Therapy Center was established in 1958 as a memorial to C. Louis Meyer, a long-time Omaha
resident and nationally known industrialist. It functioned as a rehabilitation center for children with disabilities
such as polio and cerebral palsy.
In May of 1968, Meyer Therapy Center was deeded to the University of Nebraska at which time its name was
changed to C. Louis Meyer Children’s Rehabilitation Institute (MCRI). MCRI’s scope was broadened to include
all developmental and other long-term disabilities, and the Institute became a training center for the broad range
of specialties housed therein.
In 1996, the Hattie B. Munroe Foundation and UNMC signed an affiliation agreement and became the Munroe-Meyer Institute (MMI) for Genetics and Rehabilitation in recognition of the expanded and joint commitment to children and youth with disabilities.
The Munroe-Meyer Institute has exceptional facilities. The physical plant is extensive and is barrier free and fully compliant with all ADA and 504 requirements. The Institute consists of five buildings totaling 120,684 square feet and pavilion that house an augmentative communications program, a motion analysis laboratory, expanded recreational therapy programs and state-of-the-art basic research laboratories in molecular genetics.